Saturday, March 17, 2012

My March Madness Elliptical Interval Workout...because I love basketball and hate being fat

Oh friends. I wanted to blog. I looked through all the photos I have taken over the last few weeks and came to the conclusion: I work a lot. I don't have photos of anything I have cooked, projects I've done, or fun places I've been. Because honestly, I have been working constantly. I'm not complaining, I choose to do it and the paychecks are beautiful. But here is a truth: today is the first time I've actually gotten dressed in real clothes in weeks. I either put on scrubs or some form of workout/lounge wear. Which I wear for my work out and then wear around for the rest of the day until I eventually take a shower and put on clean versions of the same thing. Or I just pretend I'm going to work out and then I don't. Its gross but true. But since you probably don't want to see pictures of nasty wounds (taken with permission, of course) or various forms of enemas, I have something different to share. Get excited.



This is magical. Are you carrying some extra fluff from the winter? Yes! Do you love March Madness? Double yes! Do you totally hate going to the gym for a boring workout? Triple yes! Then I have something amazingly nerdy and wonderful for you.

March Madness Elliptical Interval Workout


It sounds ca-razy. And something awful. But it is wondrous. Because you are getting your basketball fix and your workout all at the same time. And you kind of forget that you are even working out. (Ok, not really...but you are distracted!) I tried this yesterday and again today. I can just feel the lbs melting off. And I can just hear the snarky comments from my husband and brother. But I don't care. So here you are friends. Let basketball set you free!


First, pick a time when you want to watch a March Madness game. For the last few days, that time could be any time between the hours of 12pm and 11:30pm. Oh, glory of March.

Go to the gym. Pick the elliptical closest to the TV. Turn it on the previously mentioned game. Disregard snide looks from other gym rats who do not care about basketball.

The best time to start this is right before a game starts or as halftime is ending. Warm up until the action gets started. I set my elliptical to level 5. I don't know what that means, but it makes me feel better than level 1.

As soon as a basket is made, here are the rules.

1. Two point basket: maintain speed between 5.0-6.0 mph.


2. Three point basket: maintain speed between 7.0-8.0 mph.


3. Timeout/ Commercial break: all out speed.


4. After a timeout: resting speed until the next basket is made.


5. While free throw shooting: resting speed. 


6. After free throw shooting: maintain 4.0-5.0 mph until the next basket is made. 

So basically, for most of the game you are doing a nice steady 5.0-6.0 mph. But you are usually never doing any one speed for more than a couple minutes. And the blasts of speed at the commercial breaks are fun...or good for you. And you were probably going to sit on the couch and watch the game anyway! Good job to you, for getting your March Madness Elliptical Interval Workout on!

According to the inaccurate machine calculation, I burned almost 600 calories in a hour today. Mmmhmm.

Tips: bring a water. Plan a delicious filling meal for after this workout, if you are super out of shape like me. I am ravenous now and just ate my weight in chips and salsa. Which probably negated the whole workout.


And I can't end this post without saying Rock Chalk Jayhawk! Go KU!

No comments:

Post a Comment