Monday, February 25, 2013

The Best Sugar Cookies Ever

Snow Day!!!! What? I hate snow. For reals. I'm such a big Scrooge when it comes to snow but for real, I hate it. Because I have to go to work. Have. To. Go. There aren't snow days in a hospital. I'm finally off tonight after working four in a row. Including Snowmageddon, Part 1. I'm ready to hunker down with the hub and the pup and watch KU in front of the fire.

If you are, in fact, enjoying your snow day and you are stuck inside, make these. You already have all the ingredients in the pantry. These are the best sugar cookies. Ever. They are my mom's recipe and they are so so so good. I made them for the neighbors at Valentine's Day and it got me like 1000 good neighbor points. And now neighbors are reciprocating and we've been getting lots of delicious treats. So win win win.





Mom's Sugar Cookies



1 cup butter, melted
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, well beaten
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 cups flour
4 tablespoons milk

Cream sugar, butter, add eggs and then all other ingredients.  Mix well, then chill for at least half an hour.  (I would divide the dough in fourths and then wrap in plastic.) Roll out and cut out shapes with cookie cutters. (Or the top of a glass works!) Bake at 375 for 8-10 minutes. 

-To get your cookies to keep their form, chill again before baking!



Mom's Butter Icing

1 lb. powdered sugar
1/2 cup melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
4 to 6 tablespoons milk

Sift sugar, then add melted butter and milk.  Beat on medium speed until creamy.  If necessary add more milk to increase creamy texture.  Add food coloring if desired. Beat well until well blended.

We ate the rest of the icing with graham crackers. Who even knows how many Weight Watcher points that is. But it was delicious.





So please be safe and enjoy your snow day tomorrow. And thank a nurse or doc or EMT or police officer. 


Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment