Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Zucchini=Yum

So honestly, this is one of my new favorite recipes and I just have to share it. My bff Kerry and her beautiful mom Gail have inspired many of my cooking adventures. When we moved at the beginning of the summer, they sent me off with a binder full of famous Comiskey family recipes. I had this once last summer and loved it. (I think it is originally from Bon Appetit magazine.)

Why I love it:
1. Zucchini is super cheap and plentiful at my farmers market
2. It uses the whole zucchini and doesn't waste anything
3. It is an awesome way to get my hub to eat veggies
4. Its cheap. And freaking good. Ok?

I always make a half recipe of this because there are only two of us. And Caleb won't eat leftovers. He takes lunchables, poptarts, yogurt, pretzels, and hershey bars for his lunch. Don't judge.

Here is what you need:
2 10 inch long zucchini (who measures their zucchini? just take some big ones)
4 Italian sausages
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tomato, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 cup grated cheddar cheese (I used mozzarella this time because its what I had)
2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (I used dried because I didn't have any fresh. Just use less.)
1 teaspoon dried oregano
Salt and peppa
A bit o' oil
1/4 cup Parm cheese (the real recipe says freshly grated. but they don't even have blocks of parm in my grocery store, ok? I just get it in the tub.)

Anyway, here it is, plus some cute pics so you can see the process. Because that is my favorite part of cooking.

First, take two extra large zucchinis and cut them in half lengthwise. Then hollow them out with a spoon, leaving the shell about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick. Chop up the pulp and use about two cups worth. (This is what the recipe says, I always just use whatever pulp I scooped out. Don't hate the pulp.)

I just used one zucchini, since I'm halving this recipe. I added the baby one so I can take the leftovers to work with me this week. Since I like leftovers and all.

Next, take 4 Italian sausages, remove their casings, and crumble them up in a skillet to cook up. When it starts rendering some fat, add the zucchini pulp, onion, and garlic, and cook it all up until there is no more pink in the sausage. Then turn down the heat and just let the extra moisture cook off while you are cooking your macaroni. (5 minutes, 1 cup. Just use the whole grain for this. Your picky husband won't even notice.)

This is smelling delish right about now...


Ok. So now make sure your oven turned on to 350. Drain off the fat from your sausage. Turn the heat off under your skillet and throw in everything else (mac, tomatoes, cheese, parsley, oregano, and S&P). Stir it up. Take a taste, just to make sure everything is good. Mmm...take another taste. Just cuz you are hungry.

Yeah baby.

Now you need to rub or brush some oil on the inside of your zuckes. Pile 'em up with the filling and place them in a shallow dish.  Add about 1/2 inch of hot water to the dish. Cover with foil and bake until the zucchini are tender when you poke them with a knife. This is about 30 minutes. After they are done, take them out, take off the foil, and preheat your broiler. Toss a little Parm cheese on them and throw them back in until the tops are brown and beautiful.

I forgot about mine under the broiler so they are a little extra brown. But still amazingly yummy.  My starved husband ate them right up after he got home.

So we have a good dinner. With plums for dessert, so not bad for you right? Just try this. This is summer goodness.

I'm off to fold some laundry and cook dinner like a good wife. Then work the next three days. *Dear Lord, please give me some good patients and lots of patience...*

Tune in next week for all our/my home improvement projects...We love you!





No comments:

Post a Comment