Our up and down list. Accompanied with photos where appropriate. (I love Instagram, don't you?)
1. Down: my sweet Grandma Frank spent a week in the hospital. She's home now, my mom is there taking care of her. And she is recovering, but there are still some worries about her health. Send up a prayer for her if you think about it!
2. Up: We paid off ALL of our student loans! This felt so amazing. Champagne necessary.
3. Down: The Civic died and we had to tow it. It wouldn't start, even with a jump.
4. Up: The Civic lives on! It just had a super dead battery.
5. Up: Awesome Friday flowers. Maybe the best ones yet.
6. Up: The discovery of the Green Monster Smoothie. I've seen this on Pinterest and everywhere on the intraweb and decided to make my own version. So so so good! I love getting a serving of fruit and veggies first thing in the morning.
Green Monster Smoothie
1/2 cup plain fat free Greek yogurt
1 frozen banana, chopped
1 spoonful of creamy peanut butter
Half a bag of spinach (or as much as you want)
1/2-1 cup skim milk (depends how thick you want your smoothie)
A couple ice cubes
Blend on puree setting and then on liquefy to get a nice smooth texture. Serves one.
7. Up: Getting cool points with all my coworkers for wearing blue Chucks with my scrubs.
8. Down: Chemistry lesson learned the hard way.
So on Wednesday night, I planned to make chicken and dumplings, a Southern delicacy. I made a batch over the weekend but it didn't turn out well. So I went at it again, hoping for some better and blog-worthy results.
I had a big stockpot full of the boiling chicken broth that needed straining. I decided that a great idea would be to pour it into a glass pitcher and then easily strain it from that. I picked a nice big thick pitcher. I poured my just boiled chicken broth in it. I was almost finished when I heard a loud cracking noise as a the pitcher broke and a gallon of almost boiling water spilled onto me. I said a few choice words, ripped off my pants, and got some cool clothes to put over the burns, which were already blistering.
Caleb insisted I go to the ER. Note: a pain rating of 10/10 and some juicy red skin gets you in super fast. I got hooked up with some pain pills, silvadene cream, and ice packs. In and out in 45 minutes, impressive.
Taco Bell and a Smirnoff later, I was feeling much better.
Basically, where the ice packs cover in the pic is where the burns are. Yes, I did take pictures of the burns. No, I will not show them on here. Because that's gross and no one wants to see them.
Bottom line: Do not put boiling water into room temperature glass. I feel like I should have already known this. But I didn't. And now I do.
9. Up: My sweet husband took the day off yesterday to take care of me. He brought me things, dressed my wounds, and did the laundry and dishes. And we spent most of the day watching movies and playing video games. Time well spent.
10: Down: It was my Grandma Voth's vintage glass pitcher. And I loved it.
So today I'm taking my first sick day of my life because I can't really put pants on. Which is kinda lame, but true. Don't worry, I plan on being a real woman tomorrow and going in.
Oh pants-less life. I bet I'll never forget this one! Happy Friday!
(PS follow me on Instagram, @lorrib)