Friday, February 11, 2011

Greek yogurt challenge

*I just added a ton of love songs to this blog's playlist...and quite a wide variety...so if you love love songs, just keep this page up for awhile...

In case you were unaware, I love Greek yogurt. You probably know this about me if you work with me. Since I eat it every day at work and you've probably made fun of me for it. I love Greek yogurt because it has tons of protein (way more than regular yogurt) so it helps me get through the 12 hour work day. I also like the texture a lot more than regular yogurt, its much thicker and I can pretend like it's custard aka dessert aka delicious. It has the same good bacteria that help out your digestive system AND many brands of Greek yogurt have all natural ingredients (read: no high fructose corn syrup). Also, just fyi, you can sub Greek yogurt for sour cream and other fats and oils in many of your favorite recipes. I sound like an advertisement. But really, I just love Greek yogurt. *it is much more expensive than regular yogurt. but that is the only downside. promise.

So when my local Target stopped carrying my favorite Greek yogurt a few weeks ago, I was forced to look at Food City for my fix. They had many more brands than Target did (although fewer flavors) so I decided to branch out from my normal brand and try a few new ones. My one rule: it had to be fat free. Some brands of Greek yogurt actually have over 20 grams of fat per serving. That is like a freaking Big Mac. And if I'm going to eat that much fat, it's going to be in Big Mac form.

Greek bliss.

So here is the breakdown.

1. Yoplait's Greek yogurt, strawberry flavor. It contains 160 calories, 0 grams of fat, 20 grams of sugar, and 14 grams of protein. It also has the most ingredients of any of the three Greek yogurts I tried, with no mention of live and active cultures. I think this was more "greek style" yogurt, since it wasn't as thick and creamy as I'm used to. The taste was fake strawberry and gross. Ok, basically I didn't like it. At all. And had the most calories.

2. Dannon's Greek yogurt, blueberry flavor. This one contains 120 calories, 0 grams of fat, 16 grams of sugar, and 12 grams of protein. It has real blueberries (yay!), real sugar, and live and active cultures. It also contains "less than 1%" of some ingredients that sound like preservatives. But it was yummy and significantly more flavorful and thick than the Yoplait. 

3. Chobani Greek yogurt, honey flavor. It has 150 calories, 0 grams of fat, 20 grams of sugar, and 16 grams of protein. It has seven ingredients: milk, honey, and 5 live and active cultures. Chobani is my normal brand of yogurt and most of the other flavors have less calories and sugar. (Best flavors: vanilla and raspberry) It is thick, creamy, and delicious. I can eat this for breakfast around 8 or 9 and not be hungry until lunch at 1:30 or 2. Nothing artificial. It does have a lot of sugar so don't eat it if you are anti sugar. The plain Chobani has 100 calories, 7 grams of sugar, and 18 grams of protein. Score!

Winner: Chobani. Fortunately, Target restocked it's supply this week and all was well with my world. Here is a coupon link so you can go get some for yourself. And be so so happy.



In case you were wondering, my man eats Yoplait Go-gurt tubes. They come in flavors such as "Strawberry Splash" and "Berry Blue Blast." He obviously does not share my love for the Greek.

Ok this whole post was just a procrastination ploy from cleaning. So I'm going to go do that now. And drive around the new car because Caleb got a ride to work this morning so that I could drive it around for the day. Now that is love people.

Happy Friday! Have a wonderful weekend! And go eat some Greek yogurt. Your life will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment