Monday, April 25, 2011

Magical Mini Meatloaves on Monday. Mmm...

I started Weight Watchers today. One of my friends at work gave me all her material, plus a bunch of yummy looking recipes. Unfortunately, at this point in the day I have only one point left to eat dinner with. Oops. That might be because I looked everything up after I already ate it. Doritos have 4 points per serving? Reese's eggs have 4 points per egg?? What?? This isn't diet food?? And that my friends, is what tomorrow is for.

Anyway, I had to share this fantastic meatloaf recipe. I made it last week and it was yummy. I LOVE meatloaf, my Grandma Frank makes a mean one and pairs it with mashed potatoes, green beans, and corn. Comfort food to the max. This recipe is from Cook Yourself Thin and is great because it makes individual meat loaves that are low in calories but don't taste like diet food. (Gross) The hub even liked them! (I didn't tell him about the calorie count.) Maybe that is the magical part. Or maybe because we've been Harry Potter-ing it up over the weekend...

Turkey Mini Meatloaves from Cook Yourself Thin
Makes 4 mini meatloaves, 227 calories per meatloaf. I'm going to guess this would be about 4 points per meatloaf.


Meatloaves:
1 slice whole wheat bread
1/2 cup skim milk
1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon olive oil
1 onion, diced
5 oz bag baby spinach
1.25 lbs ground turkey
2 tablespoons finely grated Parmesan
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

Glaze:
3 tablespoons ketchup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon hot sauce

*Note: I halved this whole recipe and it turned out perfect

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Grind bread in food processor (or just tear it up really good with your fingers) and put in large bowl. Pour milk over crumbs.


3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat, add onion and stir until soft and golden. Add spinach and stir just until wilted.
I love onions. I'm sorry, I just do.
Or in my case, keep the spinach separate. Caleb would never eat anything with cooked spinach in it, are you kidding?
Spinach, you are beautiful.

4. Add to bowl with bread and milk. Add in turkey, cheese, egg, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Combine with your hands until well mixed.
This is not well mixed, fyi,
5. Pack into a 1 cup dry measuring cup and invert on rimmed baking sheet. Repeat with rest of mixture.
(I did one cup for Caleb, then added the spinach in and did a second cup for me.)
Ok so the spinach is less noticable after its cooked. Also maybe you should chop it up a little.

6. Bake mini meatloaves until cooked through and golden, about 40 minutes. While the meatloaves are cooking, make the glaze. In a small bowl mix ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and hot sauce. Brush over meatloaves. (I did this with about 15 minutes of cooking left)

7. Root veggie side: Slice up potatoes and baby carrots. (I think asparagus, zucchini, and squash would also be good) Toss with about 1-2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, pepper, and dried parsley. Cook alongside meatloaves for about 30-35 minutes. If you were normal, you could toss all your veggies together.

I didn't do many carrots because I didn't think Caleb would eat any. Wrong. He ate a bunch.
8. Serve it up and enjoy. This was a hit!
YUM!

This was just good. I like real food. The end.

I think for dinner I will be having broccoli...zero points...

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE recipes! This looks awesome and I need to do it because it's been my goal to cook more healthily...

    ReplyDelete